TALENT ACQUISITION & RETENTION
TALENT ACQUISITION & RETENTION:
The reason of rising EEOC claims in the small business world
A study by Hiscox found that U.S.-based companies have at least an 11.7 percent chance of having an employment charge filed against them. Hiscox claims data for small and mid-sized businesses (under 500 employees) indicate that one in five will face employment charges with an average cost to defend of $125,000, which includes expenses such as attorney’s fees and settlement costs. 1
Specifically, retaliation cases have almost doubled in the last 10 years. Business owners very seldom end up winning those. Such unexpected expenses can make the whole difference between profits and losses, without considering the consequential frustrations and disappointments.
How can we explain this increasing trend? Here are some explanations:
- Employees are becoming better educated about their rights under federal, state and local civil rights laws. The EEOC has made it easier and has expanded the protection employees receive after making a workplace complaint protected under Title VII.
- The U.S. Supreme Court has clarified the requirements for individuals attempting to prove on-the-job discrimination. In doing so, the courts made it easier for plaintiffs to avoid summary judgment and having their case dismissed.
- Jurors are more willing to accept the fact that an employee was treated differently due to his or her complaint of sexual harassment and discrimination.
- Many small business Employers tend to ignore the specifics of the law – they are too busy handling the day-to-day emergencies and priorities. Many are not aware of the importance to respect the law simply because they are badly, if at all, educated on the anti-discrimination regulations. When an employee files a complaint, the business owner or executive has a natural reaction of retaliation – not aware of the consequences.
- Some employees (a minority of them) might be tempted to abuse the fact that the law is naturally meant to protect their rights and to ensure they are not discriminated. Unfortunately, when monetary compensations are involved, it may be tempting to take full advantage of the juror’s tendency to be more on their side. I have witnessed quite a few occurrences where an employee was assisted by his/her lawyer to maximize the compensations – at the cost of the truth or the reality.
So, we are really witnessing two phenomena: (1) employers are not being well educated on HOW to avoid retaliation cases and (2) More disgruntled employees might be tempted to take advantage of the increasing willingness of the EEOC authorities to [sometimes blindly] trust the plaintiffs.
We created our “Hire-Master Training Kit” to help you develop the most effective and legal-proof hiring process. And the good news is, it costs less than 0.5 percent of the cost of a settlement with the EEOC. So, get your “Hire-Master training kit” today and stop giving away your valuable money to lawyers and to the EEOC!
Best-Selling Author of “No-Fail Hiring 2.0”
Simpson, Andrew, “What are Chances a U.S. Business will Face an Employee Lawsuit?” Insurance Journal. N.p., 28 October 2015. Web
The RECRU-TEC™ Test is a one of a kind pre employment testing technology. It filters each applicant through 20 different soft-skills. The RECRU-TEC™ Test is a perfect Quality Control tool for your hiring missions.
Based on more than 22,000 candidates’ evaluations in 25 different countries, this unique diagnostic tool is a job matching test which provides vital information about your future/potential employee. Give it a try today and see how powerful the RECRU-TEC™ Test is!
The Pre-Selector is a very effective and fast pre-screening assessment, universal to all applicants. Whatever the position, you want to evaluate candidates’ ability AND willingness to contribute to the success & happiness of their team members and of your organization.
This unique pre-screening assessment evaluates every applicant against 6 universal characteristics which have proven to: Make people happier and more enthusiast on a job and contribute to the success & happiness of others in the group.
The JOBSTAR™ Test is a one of a kind employee performance appraisal and job satisfaction assessment.The JOBSTAR™ Test is a perfect Quality Control tool to ensure optimal performance, happiness and engagement from your employees.
This unique diagnostic is an Employee Performance Appraisal Assessment which provides vital information about your current employees’ performance and job satisfaction.
The Selling Skills Assessment helps detect strengths that can be optimized and weaknesses that should be worked on, in order to be more successful as a professional sales representative.
It was developed to help sales reps optimize their full potential, while contributing fully to the expansion of your organization. It measures usually undetected characteristics which have proven to be instrumental to achieve great performance in sales.